Thursday, January 23, 2014

Being Open

Have you ever had a conversation with someone and in the back of your mind all you're thinking is "Just shut up already!" Well, in this past week I've had multiple conversations with people where that's been raving in my head while I just smile and nod. I'm usually a great listener, but there is one type of conversation that everyone has had at one point where you just want to mute the other person and walk away. The conversation can present itself in various ways, but it all stems from one thing; and that one thing is the fact that you're talking to a close-minded person. Now, before you stop reading just know that I understand and acknowledge that all people possess close-mindedness at times, especially over certain ideas or beliefs. But when you are so set in your ways that you refuse to even listen to another person's perspective, well that's when I kind of lose it. Of course, like I said before, I'll typically just stand there, nod and smile, but in my mind I'm going crazy.
Where is the problem in being open-minded? In considering someone else's perspective before completely bashing it? I feel like especially for those of us in our twenties, we should be a little more open to everything around us. Now, I don't mean that as an excuse to act out; what I mean is to be open to listen and reflect on things that may be different from what you're use to or comfortable with. Transitioning your thoughts from being close-minded to being open will bring along so many new experiences. It's just a way to experience life in a broader way. While for some it may be difficult to open yourself up, I want to challenge and encourage you to just try it! There's no harm in trying and at least you'd be stretching yourself to some extent. So, here are some recommendations on how to become a more open person.

1. Listen to people who have different ideas or beliefs than you. 
By just listening to someone else isn't going to convert you to what they believe. Just give them a chance to speak their mind without shutting down what they're saying. Just because you're against abortion doesn't give you the right to ignore someone who's had one. Give her a chance to tell her story.

2. Be open to new experiences and opportunities. 
One of my friends in particular comes to mind when I think of this one. She has put herself out there more than anyone I know and because of that she has had so many amazing opportunities open up and is experiencing life in a way I one day hope to. Take a chance! Don't shoot something down because it's out of your comfort zone; it may turn out to be the most liberating thing you've ever done. 

3. Give someone a chance who you normally wouldn't. 
Whether it be in relation to dating or a friendship, don't cancel someone out because they're not what you're use to. Again, this is all about breaking out of that comfort zone. I have friends with all sorts of backgrounds and personalities, but I've managed to find some common ground with all of them. They say opposites attract, so don't knock it till you try it!

Don't be that aggravating person who only talks about why they're right and refuses to hear another's opinion. At least start with listening and as you progress in that, you'll naturally start to gravitate towards the others. Be young, be free, & be open. 

No comments:

Post a Comment