Sunday, January 18, 2015

Live With Zeal

January 2015. Like clockwork, similar patterns present themselves before my very eyes. Change is upon us. Another couple gets engaged (yippee...but really, congrats though). Resolutions are thought up and followed through (for about a week or so). Plans are made (while God laughs). And people move on, move forward, take a step back, or re-evaluate. Processes are taking place.

I never realized how overwhelmed the new year makes me. Pressure comes creeping in from every side and I find myself making extravagant plans because I'm stuck in a rut of playing the comparison game. "I need to go here because this person went to that place last year and look who they met and look what they did and look at the opportunities that are now presented to them...God! How did I get so behind, gotta start planning..." AND, "Wow, they've been dating for four years and just got engaged and have such a great relationship, UGH GOD how long are you going to keep me in this singleness it's like a curse! I mean, I can help you out, I can download Tinder (mental note: stop downloading Tinder) But I mean, C'MON I needs me a MAN..." AND of course, "OMG that girl is so stylish, I have to burn all of my clothes and go shopping immediately and then only eat lettuce and work out 5 hours a day so I can fit into the new clothes I buy and maybe then I'll look as good as her...better make it 6 hours a day..."

^^^DOES THAT NOT SOUND 
SO EXHAUSTING TO YOU?!^^^

I wish I could say I was kidding, that I never think those things and that I'm perfectly content with myself and my life...but I would be lying. I don't have it all together. No matter what my Facebook, Instagram, social life may look like...this chick is JUST as lost as YOU. Surprised? GOOD.

The comparison game just needs to stop. We're holding ourselves to a standard of perfection that we've placed upon someone else who is no more closer to it than we are. So, what do we do? Well, for starters I think we need to find our purpose. My main goal for this year is to know my purpose and to remind myself of it daily. For me, my purpose is to glorify God in my daily living and to be joyful with where He has me. Right now I would love to be finished with college and be backpacking through South America. Well, obviously that's not where He has me at all - I'm a full time student working part time at a hotel in a town where the only place you'll see a backpack is on campus. And that's OK!! My purpose right now is to glorify God everyday I'm in class and at work, and maybe someday down the road He'll open up a door where I can bring Him glory through a South American backpacking trip (prayers accepted). But in all seriousness, if you figure out your purpose, then nothing else can stand in the way of that and the joy it'll bring you.

One other thing I would suggest in helping you appreciate where you are is if you invest in others. We go through life with so many surface relationships, "Hey girl, how are you?" "Good! How are you?" "Good, thanks! Let's catch up soon!" "Okay, sounds good. See ya!" NO! Take time to invest in people. Find people who you would want to invest in you. Purposefully seek people who you can build a deep relationship with. Take the time to really know them, and give them the chance to know you too.

As I bring this post to an end, you may be sitting there thinking, "Why take pointers from you? You just told us that you don't have it all together, so what do you know?" To which I tip my hat and say "Touché," and let you go about your day. But really, just take it from someone who knows! I've done the comparison game, I've made the resolutions, planned the trips, flirted with the boys, gone on fad diets and for what?! To tell you that it's unfulfilling! You will continue to feel lost and like you're a step behind until you figure out your purpose (which personally I think is connected to God). But whether you believe in God or not, spend some time alone and figure out what you think your purpose is. And then just start to live it out! And in the midst of all of that, form connections with people. Real relationships that carry depth and encourage you to reach your purpose and potential. Live with zeal and have courage as you leave society's standards behind and walk in the purpose that is PERFECT for YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment